The Malay Language Elective Programme (MLEP) is a two-year programme introduced by MOE so as to nurture bilingual talents and to enhance their understanding of Malay language, literature and culture. Currently there are three secondary schools offering MLEP: Anderson Secondary School, Bukit Panjang Government High School and Tanjong Katong Secondary School. The MLEP programme was introduced in Tanjong Katong Secondary in 2020.
The objectives of MLEP are:
- To nurture the language talent of students who have the interest and inclination to study Malay language so that they can attain a higher level of proficiency and better understanding of Malay language, literature and culture
- To provide academically-able students the opportunity to be effective bilinguals; in English and Malay language, to better serve the need of the nation
MLEP programme (Secondary)
Students who are in the EMAS programme are given the choice of continuing the programme at the Upper Secondary levels (sec 3-4) or switch to MLEP at the Upper Secondary levels. Students who are not in the EMAS programme could enrol into the MLEP programme if they meet the entry criteria.
- B3 grade in Higher Malay Language; or
- A2 grade in Malay Language
Literature in Malay language (pure or elective) as one of the subjects at GCE ‘O’ Level.
The programme offers a wide range of activities to enhance language skills and interest in the learning of the Malay language, literature and culture. Activities include:
- Overseas immersion programme / study tour
- Creative writing workshops
- Publication of literary works
- Literature camp
- Lectures, forums and discussions
MLEP in Junior Colleges
Students may apply to enrol in the MLEP-JC through DSA or JAE. Colleges offering MLEP are:
- Jurong Pioneer Junior College
- National Junior College
- Raffles Institution
- Tampines Meridian Junior College
- Yishun Innova Junior College
Applicants must have good overall results in GCE ‘O’ level Examination, obtaining at least:
- B3 grade in HML; or
- B4 grade in HML and B3 grade in Malay Literature (Pure or Elective); or
- A2 grade in Malay Language.
Students who are successful for the MLEP will enjoy two bonus points for admission to the junior college offering the programme.
The Ministry of Education will award scholarship to short-listed MLEP students who meet the given criteria and cleared the scholarship interview.