Personal Learning Device (PLD)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What device will the students be purchasing?
The students will be purchasing the Lenovo Chromebook 500e 2nd Gen.
2. What does the device bundle include?
It includes these items as well as the device ( stylus, charger, mouse, bag, biometric enabled padlock).
3. What happens if my child’s device is faulty?
Technical support will be provided to students through:
• Service-desk support in School – Library
o Trouble-shooting of device issues
o Solve connectivity issues
• For repair of devices ( hardware issues) – the device will be collected from the school to be sent for repairs. There is a 2 week turn-around time. A temporary loan device will be issued to students while waiting for their devices to be repaired.
Servicing Centre: Lenovo service Centre at Funan Mall
4. What happens if my child loses the device?
(a) Parents/students to
i. make a police report,
ii. contact Lenovo helpdesk for device issues at 800 852 8100 and
iii. inform the school.
(b) The contractor’s helpdesk/service centre will advise parents on the insurance claim procedure.
(c) If the device is without insurance coverage or the loss is due to clause(s) not covered under insurance, parents can seek school’s assistance to procure a replacement device.
5. Can my child bring his/her own device?
The school strongly encourages parents to purchase the recommended PLD. Different OS could lead to compatibility issues and disruptions to the classroom learning experience. Device Management Application compatibility issues could make it challenging for the school to monitor, manage and secure the PLDs. (Please also note that the data in your own device will be wiped out before the installation of DMA.)
Funding Support for Singapore Citizen (SC) Students
The cost of the device bundle can be paid using your child’s Edusave account, after setting aside provision for payment of second-tier miscellaneous fees.
To ensure the affordability of devices, there was a one-time Edusave top-up of $200 in April 2020 to support the purchase of the device. This is on top of the annual $290 credited into the Edusave account for Secondary School students.
For students on MOE-FAS, subsidies are available even if there is insufficient Edusave balance. The cash out-of-pocket will be $0. Subsidies will be provided for SC who need support, particularly those whose Gross Household Income (GHI) is below $4,000 or Per Capita Income (PCI)# is below $1,000.
For more details on financial assistance, please approach the school.
Funding Support for Non-Singapore Citizen Students
Permanent residents (PR) and international students (IS) who need support could apply for subsidies, particularly those whose Gross Household Income (GHI) is below $4000 or Per Capita Income (PCI)# is below $1000.
For more details, please approach the school.
1. My child is a Singaporean Citizen. How much do we have to pay for the device?
Your child can use his Edusave account to pay for the device. Should there be insufficient Edusave funds, your child can pay via Giro/Cheque. You can check for the Edusave balance at 62600777.
2. My child is on MOE-FAS. How much do we have to pay for the device?
There are subsidies even your child has insufficient funds in the Edusave account. The cash out-of-pocket will be $0.
3. My child is a PR. How to make payments?
Payment can be made via Giro/Cheque for Permanent Residents (PR) or International Students (IS).
1. How will my child’s/ward’s data be used in the PLD and IT Applications?
DMA. The Device Management Application (DMA) which will be installed in your child’s/ward’s PLD collects data on usage by the student, such as the amount of time spent on each application. The DMA data will only be used for MOE’s cyber-wellness measures and technical troubleshooting. MOE will not disclose the data to any person otherwise than permitted under the law.
• Student iCON: https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_terms_japan.html
• Microsoft Pro Plus: https://portal.office.com/commerce/mosa.aspx
• Zoom: https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/schools-privacy-statement.html