Personal Learning Device (PLD)
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What device will the students be purchasing?
The students will be purchasing the Lenovo Chromebook 500e 2nd Gen.
2. When will students be getting the device?
The estimated time of collection of device is August 2021.
3. What does the device bundle include?
It includes these items as well as the device ( stylus, charger, mouse, bag, biometric enabled padlock).
4. What happens if my child’s device is faulty?
Technical support will be provided to students through:
• Service-desk support in School – Library
o Trouble-shooting of device issues
o Solve connectivity issues
• For repair of devices ( hardware issues) – the device will be collected from the school to be sent for repairs. There is a 2 week turn-around time. A temporary loan device will be issued to students while waiting for their devices to be repaired.
Servicing Centre: Lenovo service centre at Funan Mall
5. Can my child bring his/her own device?
The school strongly encourages parents to purchase the recommended PLD. Different OS could lead to compatibility issues and disruptions to the classroom learning experience. Device Management Application compatibility issues could make it challenging for the school to monitor, manage and secure the PLDs. (Please also note that the data in your own device will be wiped out before the installation of DMA.)
For parents who wish to use their own device, please call the school to make an appointment for device verification by 28 May 2021.
Funding Support for Singapore Citizen (SC) Students
The cost of the device bundle can be paid using your child’s Edusave account, after setting aside provision for payment of second-tier miscellaneous fees.
To ensure the affordability of devices, there was a one-time Edusave top-up of $200 in April 2020 to support the purchase of the device. This is on top of the annual $290 credited into the Edusave account for Secondary School students.
For students on MOE-FAS, subsidies are available even if there is insufficient Edusave balance. The cash out-of-pocket will be $0. Subsidies will be provided for SC who need support, particularly those whose Gross Household Income (GHI) is below $4,000 or Per Capita Income (PCI)# is below $1,000.
For more details on financial assistance, please approach the school.
Funding Support for Non-Singapore Citizen Students
Permanent residents (PR) and international students (IS) who need support could apply for subsidies, particularly those whose Gross Household Income (GHI) is below $4000 or Per Capita Income (PCI)# is below $1000.
For more details, please approach the school.
1. My child is a Singaporean Citizen. How much do we have to pay for the device?
Your child can use his Edusave account to pay for the device. Should there be insufficient Edusave funds, your child can pay via Giro/Cheque. You can check for the Edusave balance at 62600777.
2. My child is on MOE-FAS. How much do we have to pay for the device?
There are subsidies even your child has insufficient funds in the Edusave account. The cash out-of-pocket will be $0.
3. My child is a PR. How to make payments?
Payment can be made via Giro/Cheque for Permanent Residents (PR) or International Students (IS).
1. How will my child’s/ward’s data be used in the PLD and IT Applications?
DMA. The Device Management Application (DMA) which will be installed in your child’s/ward’s PLD collects data on usage by the student, such as the amount of time spent on each application. The DMA data will only be used for MOE’s cyber-wellness measures and technical troubleshooting. MOE will not disclose the data to any person otherwise than permitted under the law.
• Student iCON: https://workspace.google.com/terms/education_terms_japan.html
• Microsoft Pro Plus: https://portal.office.com/commerce/mosa.aspx
• Zoom: https://zoom.us/docs/en-us/schools-privacy-statement.html