Mother Tongue Language (MTL) Matters
Offering MTL At Secondary Level
- The MTL policy requires all students (including foreigners) in our education system to offer a MTL in addition to English. MTL allocation will be based on MOE approvals given in primary schools.
- If a student has previously obtained official approval for MT Exemption, the exemption will be valid at secondary level. There is no need to reapply.
- If a student has previously obtained official approval for:
(1) NTIL (Hindi, Gujarati, Bengali, Panjabi)
(2) MTL in lieu – offering Japanese, French, German, Burmese etc. as second language at primary level
Students are required to continue with their private study arrangements till Secondary 4. These subjects are examinable at the GCE O level examination.
Offering French, German and Japanese as 2nd Language At Secondary Level
- If your child would like to study these languages at MOE Language Centres, please email your request to Mdm Chong Mong Leng at email@example.com
Your child will be placed on the waiting list and MOELC will inform us should there be vacancies and your child will be required to sit for a proficiency test prior to confirmed admission.
Offering Higher Mother Tongue Language (HMTL) At Secondary Level
- MOE HMTL Option Letters will be given to eligible Sec 1 students based on MOE’s eligibility criteria to offer HMTL on the first day of school when school reopens. Parents are advised to purchase MT/ HMTL textbook on the first week of school only after receiving the eligibility letter to be offered HMTL.
- For students who are offering Higher Chinese Language (HCL) and Higher Malay Language (HML), they will study these subjects during school curriculum time.
- For students who are offering Higher Tamil Language (HTL), they will need to attend lessons at designated HTL centres.
- Please note that there is no need to offer MTL subject in addition to HMTL.
Offering TL and HTL At Secondary Level
- For students who are offering Higher Tamil Language (HTL), parents will be informed by the school via Parents Gateway (PG) by 24 December 2020. More information on the registration process will be provided via PG.
- For students who are offering Tamil Language (TL), parents will need to check the Tamil language centre website for the registration date.
TL designated centre: Bedok View Secondary School
HTL designated centres: Umar Pulavar TL Centre, Pasir Ris Crest Secondary School
Offering Third Languages At Secondary School
- Parents will be informed by the school via Parents Gateway (PG) by 24 December 2020 for both successful and unsuccessful applications.
- Students will have to register online with the respective centres: MOE Language Centre (MOELC) or Malay/Chinese Special Programme (MSP/CSP) Zonal Centres.
- For registration at MOELC, students are to confirm the acceptance of the offer and complete the online registration at: https://www.moelc.moe.edu.sg/
- Please note that the duration of registration for MOELC will be from 23 December 2020 (Wednesday) to 7 January 2021 (Thursday).
- For Malay / Chinese Special Programme, please check with the MSP/CSP Zonal Centres for the registration deadline.
- The contact information for MSP/CSP programmes has been provided for your reference.
|Malay Special Programme:||Chinese Special Programme:|
Tampines Secondary School
252, Tampines St 12,
Tel : 67835423
Changkat Changi Secondary School
23 Simei Street 3
Tel: 6785 9790